Managing Your Online Presence Back
A young person’s online presence can be a professional strength or a disaster that may be difficult to repair. This session provides insight into the power of a positive message and the damage to one’s professional life that can be caused by inappropriate content online.
- Life Skills
- Self Promotion
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the value and the perils associated with their social media presence.
- Identity the impact that social media can have on the impressions held by current or potential employers.
- Social Media "screenshots" (see resources)
Text in italics should be read aloud to participants. As you engage your post in activities each week, please include comments, discussions, and feedback to the group relating to Character, Leadership, and Ethics. These are important attributes that make a difference in the success of youth in the workplace and in life.
SOCIAL MEDIA SCREENSHOTS
Provide a set of social media screenshots from the resources section. Ask participants to use the images to create a short story about or profile of the person in each of the social media screen captures.
Have participants share their stories about the individuals in the pictures. Comment before moving into the reflection questions that social media is permanent. Once something is posted online, it is available to millions of computers around the world.
Some sample questions are below. They are designed to help the participants apply what they have learned to their own interests. You are welcome to use these questions or develop your own questions that relate to the post or your specific focus area.
- What might a casual reader infer from the pictures?
- What might an employer infer from the pictures?
- If all things were equal between Tim and Katherine, who is more likely to be hired for a job or offered a promotion? Is that fair? Why or why not?
- What are challenges you perceive regarding social media content since it can remain available for years to come?
- Why is social media a great thing? Why is social media potentially a problem for individuals?
- What are specific actions you can take to ensure that social media does not create problems for you?
- How can social media—and media in general—be used to promote the best version of yourself?
Was this information useful to you?