In this session, participants will explore the role of honesty as a character trait that contributes to a successful life.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Explain how honesty is an important trait for living a successful life.
- Our Truth-Talking Cowboy activity sheet—make a copy for each participant
Text in italics should be read aloud to participants. As you engage your post in activities each week, please include comments, discussions, and feedback to the group relating to Character, Leadership, and Ethics. These are important attributes that make a difference in the success of youth in the workplace and in life.
Our Truth-Talking Cowboy
Pass out copies of Our Truth-Talking Cowboy and have participants read the essay. After they are finished, use the reflection questions to make the point that honesty is an essential part of success in life and in acquiring good habits.
Some sample questions are below. They are designed to help the participants apply what they have learned to their own interests. You are welcome to use these questions or develop your own questions that relate to your post or specific focus area.
- Besides what is in the story, what else do you know about Will Rogers?
- What are some ways in which the habit of lying can get individuals in trouble?
- In what ways did his life differ from many of today’s celebrities?
- What are some small ways that you can practice the big habit of honesty?
- How is honesty a trait of an effective leader?
- Is there anyone today in the public eye whom you believe has a habit of honesty similar to Rogers’?
- How might you use this in your potential career?
- How would your school be different if everyone had the habit of honesty and telling the truth?
- How might you use this in life or in college?
- Why is this important?
Was this information useful to you?