MONEY MANAGEMENT Back
In this session, participants will explore the relationship between lifestyle and money management.
- Financial Literacy
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Explain the importance of effective money management.
- Michael’s Budget activity sheet—make a copy for each participant
- My Monthly Budget activity sheet—make a copy for each participant
- Pen or pencil for each participant
Text in italics should be read aloud to participants. As you engage your post in activities each week, please include comments, discussions, and feedback to the group relating to Character, Leadership, and Ethics. These are important attributes that make a difference in the success of youth in the workplace and in life.
Give each Explorer a copy of the Michael’s Budget activity sheet. Divide the Explorers into groups of three or four and ask them to share with members of their group how they plan their personal spending. After a few minutes, ask them to review the case study on the activity sheet. Have them prepare a budget based on the information provided on the activity sheet. When Explorers are finished, ask each group to share their solutions with the larger group.
My Monthly Expenses
Pass out copies of the My Monthly Expenses activity sheet and have Explorers work independently to complete it for themselves. When Explorers are finished, have them discuss their answers with the group, telling whether they think the budget would work and what changes they might need to make.
Use the reflection questions to wrap up and help process the activity.
Some sample questions are below. They are designed to help the participants apply what they have learned to their own interests. You are welcome to use these questions or develop your own questions that relate to your post or specific focus area.
- What was the purpose of this activity?
- How successful were you in managing Michael’s budget?
- Why is it important to figure out the budget before planning a purchase?
- What did you learn from this activity?
- How is responsibility related to money an important characteristic for leaders?
- How might you use this in your potential career?
- How might you use this in life or in college?
- Why is this important?
Was this information useful to you?