ONLINE PRESENCE PART 2: BUILDING A BRAND Back
Your online presence is a method to convey to the world what you want to be known for. Use social media and an online presence to promote your personal brand and share with others your interest and expertise.
- Life Skills
- Online Presence
- Build Your Brand
- Personal Profiles
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Understand the different social media platforms they can use to gain knowledge in their interests and areas of expertise.
- Promote their interests and expertise using the platform(s) of their choosing.
- Encourage Explorers to bring a mobile device or tablet to conduct Internet searches.
- Prepare links to blog posts (WordPress, Blogger, Weebly, etc.), social media groups (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.), YouTube videos, and/or websites with common interests for the post.
Text in italics should be read aloud to participants. As you engage your post in activities each week, please include comments, discussions, and feedback to the group relating to Character, Leadership, and Ethics. These are important attributes that make a difference in the success of youth in the workplace and life.
Ask: What are some things you are interested in?
In which subject(s) do you consider yourself to be an expert?
Some examples of topics could be the career focus for the post, specific sports, or other activities and hobbies. If possible, create groups of two or three Explorers with similar interests.
- Have Explorers share resources or search to find new resources (such as blog posts, social media groups, or videos) that will expand their knowledge on the topic.
- Have Explorers share their own knowledge of the topic with their small group.
- Have Explorers choose two or three things they can share online to demonstrate their knowledge of a topic.
Some sample questions are below to help the participants get the most out of the session and make them think. The questions are designed to help the participants apply what they have learned to their own interests. You are welcome to use these questions or develop your own questions that relate to your post or specific focus area.
- How was the content different across the platforms?
- Which social media platform produced the most valuable results for your topic?
- What are some things you learned during your Internet searches?
- What are some things you learned about the topic from members of your small group?
- How do you think having a positive online presence can help you in the future with a career choice or being selected for a position over other candidates? Or how might this impact your college admittance?
- How do you plan to begin building your brand and online presence? (Share the link from the list of supplies to help Explorers understand the different platforms.)
Was this information useful to you?