PREPARING FOR CAREER EXPLORATION Back
This session is designed to help Explorers identify personal dispositions that may influence the type of career they may wish to pursue.
- Life Skills
- Career Exploration
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify prior knowledge required to ask questions related to career exploration.
- Identify key questions related to career exploration.
- Self-Survey activity sheet, one copy per person (see resources)
- Pen or pencil
Text in italics should be read aloud to participants. As you engage your post in activities each week, please include comments, discussions, and feedback to the group relating to Character, Leadership, and Ethics. These are important attributes that make a difference in the success of youth in the workplace and in life.
Pass out the Self-Survey activity sheet. Explain to the Explorers that this activity sheet will help them focus on what they hope to gain during this series about career exploration. Ask the Explorers to answer the questions as thoroughly as they can.
After the Explorers have had enough time to complete Survey 1, read the questions aloud and give participants opportunities to share their answers with the group. Do this process for Self-Survey 1, and then repeat the process for Self-Survey 2 after the first has been completely discussed.
Allow the participants a few minutes to discuss any career goals they have already set for themselves
Ask: How will knowing the career you are interested in pursuing help you to better understand the following topics?
- Identifying your personal strengths
- Investigating different career options
- Looking for a job
- Learning how to interact and communicate with co-workers
- Setting goals now for your future career
- Learning appropriate behavior for the workplace
Some sample questions are below. They are designed to help the participants apply what they have learned to their own interests. You are welcome to use these questions or develop your own questions that relate to your post or specific focus area.
- What did you learn by answering the questions about careers on the activity sheets?
- Do you have a better idea of the career you are interested in, or are you still considering many options?
- What is the most important question for you to ask right now about potential careers?
- How can the questions you ask today help you to make better decisions in the future?
Was this information useful to you?